Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Pissy Pinotage

Ha! Why do I do this? I read about a wine review in the local paper, get all excited coz they rate it highly (this one was called "superb" and was likened to a zin made in Madiran!@#$*!!), go out and get it and am DISAPPOINTED. Actually, I know why I do it - I love tasting different wines, especially from producers I've never experienced. So, it's gonna be hit and miss I guess.
The wine in question is the Hill & Dale, Pinotage 2003 from Stellenbosch, South Africa. Pinotage is not a grape I should like - it is a cross between pinot noir and cinsault (grapes that don't do much for me), but it is the signature grape of South Africa.
On the nose it smells like a combination of stale sweat and urine. But not in a bad way (believe it or not). On the palate it's a dense blueberry cola with a streak of beef bouillon. A bit of complexity for the price ($15), but this is just not very good (at any price). An "OK" wine. Definitively would not buy it again.
The Koko factor: it has that "thick, syrupy taste".
PS, don't leave it until the next day - it tasted like dirty tobacco.
Cheers!!

2 Comments:

At 8:25 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You do it because it is like searching for the Holy Grail.

 
At 11:27 p.m. , Blogger Crush59 said...

well said!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home