Sunday, April 12, 2009

Yalumba Night

Yalumba is reputably the oldest family owned vineyard in Australia. It was founded by a British brewer who emigrated to Oz in the 19th century. We had a few bottles kicking around so decided to give 'em a whirl and see what came out. First up was the Bush Vine Grenache, 2006. "Bush vine" usually means old vines - they grow like bushes (and look like small trees) as they have thick trunks and can "stand" up by themselves - no trellises, wires, poles, etc. needed. This wine is surprisingly light coloured and relatively light bodied - I was expecting a more concentrated wine. It's all about strawberries - both the nose and the palate. A straighforward, fruit driven wine, I rate it as an "OK" effort but it ain't worth the $19. No way.
This was followed by the 2004 Bush Vine Grenache. A little darker in colour, and a little more pungent on the nose. The fruit here leans more towards blueberries and blackberries but the wine is a little astringent - the tannins are out of balance with the fruit. Another "OK" wine.
I think I'll stay away from this bush wine in future vintages.
Next up were some of Yalumba's bigger guns. Mr. Robert Parker rated them both over 90 points. The Signature 2003 is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz. Medium coloured, again not as dense as I expected. Vanilla and blackberry nose, a classy wine with more blackberries on the palate backed up by firm tannins. A little chalky. Not a blockbuster, I was a little disappointed and rated it as "Good". Over-priced at $43.
The Menzies, 2003 is pure Coonawarra Cabernet. The darkest wine of the four, I found it the most tasty. Full bodied with cassis, cedar and spice. But, again, this doesn't hit me and say "wow". So, also not worth the price of admission at $49.
Overall a disappointing wine evening.
Cheers!!

3 Comments:

At 12:35 p.m. , Anonymous Joel said...

Hey! It was not a disappointing wine evening for me! I had a great evening! The wine along with the company and food made it a "wow" for me!

 
At 8:22 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto for me as well.

 
At 2:41 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what are your thoughts on the 2008 Bordeaux vintage? Going to invest? Any favorites? Salut.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home