Sunday, March 25, 2007

Ripped

When I think of the term "ripped" I think of my buddy Joel with his shirt off, flexing his ample muscles. It is a term I think meant to display power and bruteness. So what do I expect from the Hope, Shiraz, The Ripper, 2004? I expect it to be ripped! Instead, it is a thick, seductive, in your face fruit jam explosion. I initially did not like it...I prefer a little more complexity (well, ok, a lot more complexity) in a wine. It did however, grow on me (hence the seduction). Koko liked it right away, no seducing neccessary. Berry jam. It took me 3 hours to choke back half a bottle of this stuff because this is a real sipper - you just can't guzzle it. Got it! - Raspberry jam.
I am not a big fan of numbered wine rating schemes (what on earth is the difference between an "88" and an "89'??) but I can kind of see why 2 critics gave this one an 89...it screams richness and opulence but you just can't put it into that "excellent" or "classic" category of 90+...it is just too jammy. Good luck pairing this with food.
So, I give reluctantly give this a "good", and am torn as to value...I guess it is worth the $20. I'll buy another so you can try it...
Oh, did I mention - this is really jammy!
Cheers!!

1 Comments:

At 7:59 p.m. , Blogger Ken and Theresa Hoggins said...

Hi Crush,

I know you do not like the number system, but it can serve as a good tool. For years I have been averaging the scores from the major trade resources. When 2 or 3 reviewers rate a wine Very Good or Better it is probably a safe bet. I have found this sytem to work very well.

Ken

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home