Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Spoilt.

I can get used to this. Another night, another great meal and a great selection of wines. Thanks, Joe and Lianne!
Two wines stood out in this bunch. First of all, I have to say I just love Mudgee. What the hell is that, you ask? Well, Mudgee is an appelation in Australia (they sure have some funny names down under). It has a hot climate and little rainfall, yielding intensely flavoured red wines that I almost invariably have found are right down my alley. The Rosemount Estate, Mountain Blue, Shiraz-Cabernet Sauvignon, Mudgee, 2001 is one of the best. Plush and lush, ooodles of length, beautiful and definitely a WOW wine. I can't tell you how much it cost, but anything under $75 and I wouldn't feel ripped off. The other notable wine was one I have had in the old cellar for a while. I only brought it out because it was Joel's birthday. The Ridge, Santa Cruz Mountains , Cabernet 1991 didn't disappoint. One whiff and I knew I was gonna like it. Thick, intense oaky aromas filled my nostrils with anticipation. Full bodied, it remains tannic but in a soft sense and with an elegant maturity. This could have stayed in the cellar even longer. And it isn't even their Montebello bottling, usually their best. Great winery. WOW wine. Can't really comment on value since I doubt you can buy this vintage anymore, but I think in general Ridge is worth the money (unlike some other California wineries which have become over-hyped).
A note on the Penfolds, St. Henri, Shiraz 2002 - it is a good wine, but not as good as the 2001 we tasted last week.
Cheers!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home